Some challenges that one may encounter during work are:
- Ethical dilemmas.
- Conflicting incentives.
- Insufficient resources (time, money, expertise).
- Incomplete or inaccurate information.
- Low moraleinterpersonal issues, or other emotional problems (with teammates or the team as a whole).
- Cultural or workstyle conflicts.
- Changing demands.
- Inability to accomplish a task or meet expectations.
Some ways of solving such challenges according are:
- Gathering data to decide what to do.
- Leveraging the support and expertise of people around you.
- Discussing and setting team priorities.
- Understanding the emotions of those around you.
- Thinking about what the “right” thing to do is (based on ethics, what’s best for the customer, etc).
- Breaking down the situation, focusing on what you know, and understanding more about what you know.
- Mitigating risk.
- Being honest and straightforward.
- Solving the problem creatively or thinking outside the box.
- Balancing short-term and long-term tradeoffs.
- Managing the expectations of coworkers and customers.
Credit for above goes to: Gayle McDowell in ‘Cracking the PM Interview’